Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Observational Output

     One of the many gifts I've discovered I possess is the ability to observe people and process their stories. Commonly my observation is of others I identify as unique either physically or in their personality. Now by unique I don't necessarily mean society's standard of 'beautiful'. I observe based off clothing styles that don't blend in, different styles of hair, the bend of the leg, the gesture one stands in, the folds of a fabric, and so on. I can't say I consciously choose who I study, it just happens.
     Going off of that, this also means that I form timelines of people I study frequently. Honestly I see life as one giant set of several stories merging together, each with a different outcome. A storybook, a storyboard, a movie if you will. Each one unique and fascinating. Though, as of late, I've come across stories that prove points I've heard in the past. 


“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” 
― Abraham Lincoln



“You are essentially who you create yourself to be and all that occurs in your life is the result of your own making.” 
― Stephen RichardsThink Your way to Success: Let Your Dreams Run Free



“You have to open up to the world and learn optimism...Contentment with the past, happiness with the present, and hope for the future. Learned optimism.” 
― Jennifer CrusieAgnes and the Hitman


I'm sure you find quotes like this all the time. It is littered all around us. In fact such thinking is so frequent we tend not to dwell on it too much. The very room I'm in has a poster I tend to over look.
It states:
"If you say, "I can't" you won't. 
If you say, "I quit" you lose.
If you say. "I'll try" you might win;
but you have the power to choose."

  At times we take these statements to heart. Others we think it matters not. Really, I've seen a lot of people that say their done. There are too many mistakes they've made. The world is against them. This is the very reason I'm writing this blog entry that veers away from my typical artistic pursuits. I feel compelled to call awareness. I've discovered the sayings are true. The way you perceive the world really does effect how you live in it. Now that I'm 18, yet still in High School, I'm balancing on the fine line of the the Real Adult World and the last remnants of the Teenage years. I'm taking in glimpses of them at the same time and analyzing it in my mind just as I would a person. I've met a few people in particular whose outlooks are so negative they might as well throw their lives away. Truthfully the fact is, I fear they may be doing just that. 
Just at lunch a friend of mine told me about her mistakes. How because of this it is too late to fix what she could have had for a career and education. She resorted to saying she'd be working a low class job and be stuck in her home town forever. Another classmate I know has a very negative outlook on life. Sometimes over themselves, other times at others. I'm not sure if they are incapable of seeing the possibilities or simply do not wish to. As much as I'd love to understand the workings of that person's mind, I'm constrained by the limits of human design. These pessimistic views are dragging them down. I'm watching them let others lead them instead of going for the dreams they once had all because of this downcast view. I feel as though I've tried to instill positive ideals in them, encourage them to think beyond the half empty glass. Yet, in the end it is still their choice. There are those who genuinely remain negative. It is unfortunate that not everyone rises to the top.

     With this in mind, I move on to those of you who generally are positive but like I, have occasional doubts. I ask you to realize the value you have. The outlook you have REALLY does effect your success. Sure you aren't perfect, neither am I. But that doesn't mean we can't overcome these and move on to something that may actually be better than we plan. If you look for good in the world, you'll find it. If you see the best in people, you'll generally overlook their negative traits and enjoy relationships far more.
If you can't take it from the adults, the posters, the experts, at least take it from someone who is yes a teenager, who is young, who had a long journey ahead of her instead of already overcoming it like a lot of others. I have a long way to go and I haven't come very far, but I'm starting to learn from those around me. I'm literally watching the positive thinkers advancing while the pessimistic ones resort to lesser standards than they are worth. 
     In the end, I can't control what you do, but I can at least try a small influence here. I wish you well and hope you can see what just thinking a bit more positively, whether it be about yourself, your family, or take time to get over hating a freaking annoying person. :) Work hard and look forward to the rewards. You won't get stuck in the slums forever thinking this way and actually doing good for yourself and others. You might even inspire the mindset of another. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

     Thank you for reading - or skimming I know a few of you have - this lengthy journal as I shared my observation results. Have a wonderful Valentines Day (Whether you hate or like it) and be sure to smile. It will chemically make you feel better. No lies. :) (At least it works for me.) 

-bye (PS: This is cute... So I'm putting it on here. Even though I like cats more. :3 
More art updates next entry!) 

405615_367095316731979_1866991802_n

No comments:

Post a Comment